Saturday, January 31, 2015

Trash Can Potatoes

I wish I knew how easy growing potatoes was 10 years ago, back when I dug trenches into my heavy clay soil and added tons of compost just to get a measly amount of tiny spuds. Each year I change it up and last year was my best harvest ever. Best part? It was also the easiest.

While the traditional method of trenching works well in most soils, I've had the best luck using containers. These could be 30-gallon trash cans, old bushel baskets, barrels, large pots, even compost bins. This year, I'm going to try one of those new grow bags. They're supposed to increase yields. Honestly, the only reason I got one was because my old bushel basket fell apart last season and I had one of those $25 coupons for Garden's Alive. Basically, I got my bag free. This spring, I will take pictures and document how well my spuds do in the bag.

Container directions:

  1. Make sure your container has drainage holes. If not, drill some in the bottom. 
  2. Place 5-6 inches of soil in the bottom of the container. 
  3. Place 6-7 seed potato pieces, cut side down. 
  4. Cover with 3" of soil or compost. 
  5. Water. 
  6. Once plants plants are 6" tall, add compost or soil weekly so only the tops of the plants are showing. 
  7. Continue this process until the plants reach the top of your container. 
  8. Harvest potatoes 2-3 weeks after the foliage dies. Simply tip over the container and shake out the potatoes.


Don't have a container? You can also put seed potato pieces directly on the ground and cover them with straw or leaves, hilling the material around the plants as they grow. Water as usual, and when it's time to harvest, simply pull the straw aside and you'll have mounds of clean potatoes. **Note: In my experience, this method yields less than large containers.**

Got another tip for growing great potatoes?  Please leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment