Thursday, January 29, 2015

Top 10 Tips for Lazy Gardening


  1. RAISED BEDS ARE FOR THE BIRDS.  Don't waste your time researching and building a bunch of raised beds that may cost you a small fortune in lumber and soil.  Instead, rake in some fresh compost and call it a day.  Every year add another layer of compost to your garden.  This will improve both your soil and drainage. 

  2. PLANT ONLY THE VEGGIES YOUR FAMILY WILL ACTUALLY EAT.  Don't waste all your effort and garden space planting vegetables and herbs that no one in your family likes.  Concentrate on your family's favorites.  If space is limited, plant the items that are expensive or hard to find at your local grocery store.   For years I had trouble finding organic potatoes, so I planted as many as I could.  My kids were thrilled....so much so that they helped me harvest them.

  3. PLANT EXTRA FOR THE BUNNIES.  Over the years, our yard has been home to several broods of bunnies.  Each spring the mama bunny eats in my garden and digs a hole near the crabapple tree to lay her babies.  I can easily forgive her for munching on my greens.  In fact, I plant an extra row of spinach to make sure she has her fill.  Call me crazy, but sometimes it's better to go with the flow and enjoy the garden visitors instead of wasting energy building fences and sprinkling cayenne pepper over everything.

  4. SKIP THE PESTICIDES.  Instead of spraying your infected plants, play detective and figure out a safer way to get rid of the bugs.  Think of slugs and the famous beer traps.  Sometimes all your plants need is a good spray with the hose...as is the case with mites.  Bigger bugs such as Japanese beetles or caterpillars can be picked off by hand.  If you see caterpillars on your dill, parsley, or carrots, leave them be and you'll soon have swallowtail butterflies.

  5. FERTILIZE THE EASY WAY.  Once a year rake fresh compost into your garden soil.  The best part? It's free.

  6. COMPOST WITH LITTLE EFFORT.  There are numerous composting methods.  Some people use closed bins, open bins, tumblers, piling.....even vermicomposting.  I used to get frustrated because I'm always adding to my compost piles, but I rarely check them or turn them the way you're supposed to.  Then one day I realized, the effort you put into composting only speeds up the process.  If I do absolutely nothing to the pile, it will still break down, it will just a while longer to yield.

  7. KEEP WATER NEARBY.  Whether it be a watering can, a hose, or a rain barrel - keep your watering tools near the garden.  If your garden is large, consider soaker hoses.

  8. MULCH MULCH MULCH.  This is by far the best way to save time in the garden.   Start by spreading several layers of newspaper around your plants.  Then cover with 3-4 inches of mulch such as grass clippings, shredded leaves, or better yet...finished compost.  Mulch helps you conserve water and keep weeds at bay.  That's a double whammy!  Just be sure to leave a few inches of space around each plant to prevent bugs or fungus from infecting your plants.

  9. INVEST IN TOMATO PLANTS.  I live in Northwest Indiana so our growing season is somewhat short.  For several years, I tried growing my tomato plants from seeds only to end up with straggly or shriveled up plants.  I tried starting them indoors. I tried planting them straight in the garden.  Finally I realized, short of building a greenhouse, it would just be easier and cheaper for me to buy them at my local garden center.  I also buy pepper plants and some of my herbs such as parsley, basil, and rosemary.  This gives me a head start on the growing season without the hassle of babysitting finicky seedlings.

  10. DON'T SKIMP ON GOOD TOOLS.  I've been gardening for over 20 years so I've accumulated many garden tools along the way.  If there's one lesson I've learned the hard way - buy the best quality tool you can afford.  There's nothing worse than starting up a garden project, only to be stopped short when your shovel breaks or the handle keeps falling off your rake.  This goes for wheelbarrows too.








No comments:

Post a Comment